Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Inspiration: Chicago

While home I made a quick side trip to Chicago. Chicago is a great city for artistic inspiration. Not only are there several art museums, including the Art Institute of Chicago and Museum of Contemporary Art, but there are many public works of art located around the city. Below are a couple of shots of some of the public art works in Millennium Park






Chicago currently has a public exhibition on Michigan avenue of dresses made out of recycled materials. My favorite is below, the bodice is made out of vintage broaches and the skirt is an umbrella.


I also love how the creator of this one used aluminum cans. The skirt almost looks like cogs in machine in motion. Love it!


The Art Institute is a great place to go, especially because they allow photos taken with the flash off.






I especially love looking at Renaissance Flemish art for all of the detail that is included on clothing in portraits. You can really get a sense of the texture of the fabric in the portraits below.
















I always keep an eye out for cool patterns.






1 comment:

s.i. michaels said...

That's so rad that they allow you to take photos! I wish that was the case at other art museums I've been to. I usually have to satisfy myself with postcards--and end up frustrated when my favorite works aren't available in that form.