Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The cat is out of the bag

A couple of weeks ago I gave my notice at work because (drumroll) I'm going to design school in the fall at Parsons. Yay! Since I can finally discuss my future plans freely I thought I'd share some of my sketch work from the past year. Now, I know that drawing is not my strong point and that's definitely something I have been working on and will be working on in the future. I do feel like I'm improving bit by bit the more I work on it.

The following four sketches were part of a design test I had to do for one of the schools I applied to. The assignment was to create 4 articles of clothing that could be interchangeable for a weekend trip. I choose a weekend trip to London in the fall and was inspired by some prints of blouses from the 40s.








The rest are all from the fashion illustration course I took last summer. You can really tell what the assignment was when looking at each.

Darts


Ruffles


Darts and Pleats


Fringe


Draping


Gathers (Hard to see, but the gathers are at the neckline) I want to point out that I was inspired to make this dress after seeing the Arnolfini Marriage Portrait by Jan Van Eyck.

3 comments:

Martini said...

the drawings look great online. after years of sewing, I finally learned to gather from a youtube video! There I was stuck, not knowing what to do, when it occurred to me that I should google it.

Sunday Girl said...

I would have taught you how to gather! It's not that hard, but it takes a while. Oh, and I will totally take you belt shopping.

s.i. michaels said...

Congrats! What a huge move--I'm sure it'll be fantastic.